2021 Leaders Education Foundation Scholarships
$15,000 was presented in scholarships to West Tenn. graduating high school seniors at Leaders Education Foundation’s second annual meeting. This was a fifty percent increase over last year. The scholarships are of various amounts for high school seniors attending a college or university. Leaders Education Foundation received 43 applications from all across West Tenn., and the Financial Wellness Video Scholarship received six submissions, with their videos reached over 20,000 people.
2021 Scholarship winners include:
- $2,500 Financial Wellness Video Scholarship – Andrew Hilliard – Crockett County High School
- $2,000 Financial Wellness Video Scholarship – Honorable Mention – Ingram Lickliter– Milan High School
- $1,000 Leaders Credit Union Martha Britt Scholarship – Madison May – Jackson Central Merry – Early College High School
- $1,000 Scholarship in honor of Town & Country Realtors – Michael Tankersley – Augustine School
- $1,000 Scholarship in honor of Ellis Insurance – McKenna Beaver – South Gibson County High School
- $1,500 Jackson-Madison County Schools Founder’s Scholarship – Elliana McCauley – Madison Academic High School
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – Gibson County – Blair Mercer – Bradford High School
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – Obion County – Samantha George – Union City High School
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – Shelby County – Allison Lampley – Bartlett High School
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – West Tennessee – Rachel Hellums – University School of Jackson
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – West Tennessee – Twanisha Hopings – North Side High School
- $1,000 Community Scholarship – West Tennessee – Alexa Goff – South Side High School
“The scholarship program provides opportunities to students, affecting the trajectory of their entire future,” said Eddie Hays, Leaders Education Foundation Board Chair. “We are honored to be a small part of these students’ academic journeys toward success.”
Leaders Education Foundation will award scholarships of various amounts to students attending a college or university of their choice. We will also award scholarships for students accepted to a technical or vocational program through schools like TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology).
The applicant or applicant’s parent or grandparent must be a member of Leaders Education Foundation or of Leaders Credit Union in good standing. To join Leaders Education Foundation, please click here.
Scholarships will be awarded to graduating seniors in West Tennessee. Applicants must be accepted to a college or university in the United States or a trade, vocational or technical program within the state of Tennessee. All scholarships are given on a one-time basis.
Leaders Credit Union or Leaders Education Foundation directors, officers, and employees are not eligible.
Financial Wellness Video Scholarship (1) – $2,500: This scholarship is for students who provide a video submission providing tips or suggestions on “How to be Financially Fit.” Students must submit a video link through YouTube with their application. Submissions will be posted on Leaders Education Foundation’s Facebook page and the number of likes and shares gained by each submission will be a factor in selecting the winner. View past videos on our Facebook page for inspiration.
Leaders Credit Union- Martha Britt Scholarship (1) – $1,000: As a Founding Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship is awarded in honor of Leaders Credit Union which requested the scholarship also be awarded in honor and memory of Martha Britt, a west TN champion for education and educator in the Jackson-Madison County School System for over 30 years.
Town & Country REALTORS® Scholarship (1) – $1,000: As a Sustaining Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship to a deserving student in West Tennessee is awarded in honor of Town & Country REALTORS®.
Ellis Insurance Agency Scholarship (1) – $1,000: As a Sustaining Corporate Charter Sponsor of Leaders Education Foundation, a scholarship to a deserving student in West Tennessee is awarded in honor of Ellis Insurance Agency.
Founders Scholarship (1) – $1,500: This scholarship honors Leaders Credit Union’s founding membership group, Jackson-Madison County Schools. This scholarship is designated for high school seniors graduating from a high school within the Jackson-Madison County School System.
Community Scholarships (5) – $1,000 each: Scholarships are designated for one student from each community: (1) Obion County, TN; (1) Gibson County, TN; (1) Dyer County, TN; (1) Shelby County, TN; and (1) all other counties in West Tennessee including Madison County, TN.
Workforce Development Scholarships (3) – $1,000 each: The three scholarships are designated for students accepted or enrolled into a technical or vocational program through schools/colleges like TCAT (Tennessee College of Applied Technology).
2021 Application period is closed.
Complete the online application. Please have the information below ready before filling out the online application. Applications cannot be saved and should be completed at one time.
Answer the questions in the space provided on the online application (type or write out answers prior to filling out the online application to save time):
1: Describe any special circumstances that may affect your ability to pay for your college tuition.
2: Why do you feel you should be considered for Leaders Education Foundation Scholarship(s)?
3: What are your educational goals and how will your educational choices affect the rest of your career?
4: Explain whether you feel it is important to manage money and debt wisely and how it can affect your future.
Documents and files to have for uploading to complete the application:
- High School Transcripts: An official transcript is not required. Accepted file types are jpg, png, or pdf.
- Senior or Official Picture: Exclude any cropped or edited images with graphics overlaid on them. Pictures are not used in scholarship determination, only in the winning scholarship announcements and publicity. Accepted file types are jpg, png, or pdf.
- Proof of College Acceptance: Copy of acceptance letter or other proof. An official letter is not required. Accepted file types are jpg, png, or pdf.
- Letters of Recommendation: Please upload two Letters of Recommendation from a non-relative. Accepted file types are jpg, png, doc, or pdf.
- ACT Score: (Must have official documentation of score if not listed on transcript).
By applying for a scholarship, applicants consent to the use of their submitted photographs, names, and likenesses in Leaders Education Foundation’s and/or Leaders Credit Union’s promotional materials and social media channels.
Missing information within the application will result in disqualification. Leaders Education Foundation is under no obligation to contact applicants regarding missing or incomplete information. All applications will be reviewed and graded based on a scorecard carefully created by the scholarship committee. Students may apply for more than one scholarship if the student qualifies. For instance, a student can apply for the Financial Wellness Video Scholarship as well as a Community Scholarship if the student meets the location qualifications.
The scholarship funds may be used at the student’s discretion to help with the costs associated with education, including tuition, books, fees or various living costs.